|Sat Aug 6 2016, 2:00pm–7:00pm|
Get crafty this NDP weekend! Want to try your hands at making unique and personalised handmade items for yourself or your loved ones? Join our myriad of makers’ workshops and make your very own plushie, finger puppets, owl bag charm and more!
2pm to 4pm
- Create your own Merlion Plushie and Free craft kit by CafewithoutCoffee
- Pinch A Pot by A Piece of Earth
- Organic Aromatherapy Candle and Reed Diffuser workshop by Mojo Atelier
5pm to 7pm
- Finger Puppets Workshop by The Cotton Shoppe
- Owl Charm Making by Hangmade by Gladys
With only your hands and 2 hours, you can sew your very own Merlion designer plush and bring it home on 6th Aug, just days before National Day! No prior sewing skill is required and all materials are included. For aged 16+ only.
In this class, you will:
- Learn basic sewing techniques to create your own Merlion plushie
- Customise a plush that belongs only to you with provided accessories.
- Receive a complimentary DIY craft kit to continue your creation journey at home!
Pinch A Pot:
Learn how to pinch a pot!
Pinching is the basic technique of hand-building clay. This is suitable for all ages. Participants will be making a functional little pot / bowl, decorated with shells, stamps whichever they fancy. They will be able to choose from 3 types of glaze (colour) for their pots.
*Pots can be collected within a month after the workshop
Organic Aromatherapy Candle plus Reed Diffuser:
There's a rising trend of scented candles, especially soy wax candles with essential oils, being touted as safe natural candles. That's a false belief. Soy wax is extracted from the soy bean using highly chemical methods with some even employing very toxic ingredients.
Essential oils are meant to be diffused through heat, not burnt. Heating and burning are very different processes. Some essential oils when burnt, give off very toxic gases, resulting in health allergies.
Using toxin-free candle fragrance oils or emphasizing the honey scent of natural beeswax, participants can blend their own unique scents and create their own truly safe (and cheaper) organic aromatherapy candles along with their own chemical-free fragrance oil reed diffusers, using readily available materials from local stores.
Participants can get to:
- Learn to differentiate the different grades of wax
- Why essential oils in candles can be toxic
- How to select toxin-free materials for the candle
- How to create a truly toxin-free scented candle
- Formula is also a traditional healing salve recipe; melted wax can safely be applied to cuts, scrapes, wounds to heal
- Bonus: Learn to create a [Truly Safe] Reed diffuser
Finger Puppets Workshop:
Join Vivien in this fun workshop to DIY your own Frozen, Baymax, Minion or Red Riding Hood finger puppets!
Suitable for all kids from age 5 and above. Craft/sewing experience is not necessary. Younger kids will learn how to create their own patterns from felt and glue them all together to form their favourite character, while the older kids can try their hands with simple decorative stitches.
This activity is guaranteed to be loads of fun and parents are highly encouraged to join in for a great time of bonding! Gather their friends and siblings to learn a new craft together.
Owl Charm Making:
Use fabrics to create your very own owl charm for your bags, which can be done in less than two hours. You don’t need to have experience in sewing to attend this workshop, and you’ll be able to sew different fabric owls of all sizes after this!
Before you go, would you like to subscribe to our free weekly newsletter with events happening in your area, competitions for free tickets and CD giveaways?
Enter your email below, click on the Sign Up button and we’ll send you on your way
Continuing confirms your acceptance of our terms of service.